[MacDV] copying from TV with Vidcam?

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 14:10:49 PST 2004

On Friday, Jan 2, 2004, at 19:29 Europe/London, Donald Hinkle wrote:

> There are some webcasts that are only available (from our church, on
> spirituality.com) that last over an hour, play only in Windows Media
> or Real Player, and as streaming video are uncapturable; in other
> words, they can't be saved to HD, as many QT movies can.
>
> So, since we need to show some excerpts, I'm thinking of using my
> Canon vidcam to record portions of the webcast off the monitor, and
> edit in iMovie.
>
> I'm unsure how to get maximum available quality out of this. Would LCD
> be better/clearer/sharper, or a CRT monitor?
> Any other advice would be welcome. thanks,

I'm not sure that understand this situation fully.  If the webcasts
come from you church, can you not get access to the original video
footage or DV that the WMP/Real Player files were produced from?  Or,
if the webcasts are done live, can you not arrange to have a DV
recording made before the video gets mucked up with all the various
imports and compressions etc?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious.

Colin McDonald