[MacDV] Re: Creating Slide Shows Part II

Chuck Kay chuckkay at mac.com
Mon Jan 5 17:55:45 PST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 5:04 PM, sb wrote:

> Apply a 1 pixel vertical blur to the image.
>
>  sb

SB, I think I did this but can you describe? thanks!

Thanks to so many of you for the comments. Particularly to Mark Florida
for recommending the Still Life Software. It looks very promising.
However, I am still having problems. They may not can be solved. Some
of your responses said I was going through too many steps or my
resolution is too high. I realize all that. I only tried the extra
steps because I wasn't satisified w/the results of the simple steps.
Although several comments said I was going through too many steps,
no-one said exactly what steps to go through. I think I've tried them
all.

I won't post any more about this, I promise!! However, if anyone can
tell me the steps you go through to produce YOUR beautiful photo to DV
files, I would be more than appreciative. We'll meet somewhere and I'll
buy you all the tipple and haggis you want!!

Contrary to some comments, others have recommended scanning images at a
high resolution (Jim Heid for example in the Jan. Macworld, p. 77) to
get a good pan and zoom effect. Several employees at the Atlanta Apple
Store recommended the same (what do those guys know?:-)

My scanned images seem to do better than my images from my high
resolution camera. My camera produces images at 3072x2048 at 180 dpi
(3:2 ratio). With Photoshop, I change the resolution to 72 dpi
resulting in an image size 1229x819. It seems to me what matters is the
pixel count. If I make the image any smaller, I will not be able to do
the kind of zooms I would like w/o pixelation. Do I need to convert or
crop the picture so that it is 4:3 aspect ration? Hey, I'm grasping for
anything to make this work.

Even when my images are 72 dpi, I still get the shimmering effect. For
example, I took several photos of Christmas decorations (lights, trees,
etc...). The lights look like the are just a flashing (they're not)
when I do a simple pan. However, other objects do the same-particularly
ANY type of line-brick on the side of a house, the edge of someone's
clothing, etc....I may just have to be satisfied with what I've got
although I've seen many examples with good results. I am
self-admittedly a "perfectionist." I am using a 20" Cinema Display w/an
ATI 64 MB video card that handles quartz extreme and OpenGL just fine.
(Dual 2.0 Ghz G5). Is my Cinema Display to high of a resolution to
display the video properly? I dunno...

Thanks and Cheers...

Chuck kay