[MacDV] how and why to benchmark

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Jan 7 16:06:18 PST 2004

Richard,

The comments I have made follow the rules of discourse and logic that
are accepted among educated people everywhere.  They have been shaped
and evolved and worked since the time of the ancient Greeks.  They form
the basis of the scientific method worldwide.

If you or anyone wishes to make a claim, you have to produce evidence
in support to those who challenge it.  If you would like some other
process, then fine, but you cannot pretend that you have "won" the
discussion, or that you have demonstrated anything at all, or that your
other process shows anything except a lack of understanding about how
factual matters are resolved objectively.

When I get around to writing the benchmarks, I shall do my utmost to
evaluate the proposition carefully to reach an accurate answer.  [I
know this is not the normal industry meaning of "benchmark"].  Why
would I bother investing a minute of my time in anything less?  I am
not interested in "winning" a debate (I have already done that because
people have been unable to show the data on which they base their
illogical beliefs).  I am interested in showing what the factors are,
and allowing others to look at the evidence and make their own minds
up.  And there is a very small, but non-zero, chance that I am wrong
because of some factor that I have overlooked.  The benchmark will
endeavor to find that.

Part of this involves making public the source code and benchmark
process.  That will allow anyone to comment on it, to suggest
improvements, and to reproduce it for themselves.  How amusing that you
should think there is any point in doing otherwise.

      Peter