[MacDV] Re: Hooking up RCA video to G5

Brett Koonce koonce at universe42.com
Sat Jan 10 09:06:48 PST 2004

Yes and no.  This is one of the important features Apple left out of
FCE and in FCP, to keep it on the consumer level.  But on FCP, it views
each clip with logging info...i.e. "1:0.0 -> 20:0.0, tape 2".  Then if
you need space/the files die/production chaos, you can recapture your
footage and save the project.  A common use is allowing the shipping of
a project: you send the tapes/FCP files off, they recapture the
footage, and voila, you're in business.

> SB makes a point that I don't understand. Say I have a FCE movie
> compiled from three
> source reels. The source material is no longer on the hard drive. Can
> you really
> recapture so that Final Cut identifies all of the shots from new
> digital files?  If so,
> how does it work?

-Brett
www.universe42.com