[MacDV] Re: iMovie, FCE, FCP quality

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sat Jan 10 09:17:04 PST 2004

Alright now...  The question wasn't whether TV standards were "high
quality" enough some one's one *personal* standards...  It's whether
there's any *difference* in quality between using the Apple "pro" apps
vs. the "consumer" apps...

As far as I've been able to tell, the quality from iDVD is every bit as
good what's produceable with DVD Studio Pro.  The one main difference
is that iDVD uses uncompressed stereo audio, which uses bandwidth that
*could* be used for slightly higher video quality (higher video
bitrate), and DVD Studio Pro can use compressed AC3 audio using 2
channels for stereo or even 6 for 5.1 surround encoding (now that's
some tricky stuff).

Most normal people (non-videophile types) will hardly notice the
difference between the source DV material from the camera and the DVD
produced by iDVD (or DVDSP) when played on a TV.

2 cents.

- Mark