[MacDV] new to list, CD-RW woes

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Sat Jan 10 10:14:37 PST 2004

On Jan 9, 2004, at 10:45 PM, Claire Hart wrote:

> Fantom Drive FireWire - "The disk drive could not be used because the
> disk drive is not supported (followed by a very long error code)."

It sounds like the software driver for the Fantom CD drive does not
properly meet the FireWire specification, possibly because it uses the
flawed Oxford 922 chip.  Check the Fantom website again: there is a
long article about firewire and Panther at http://www.fantomdrives.com/
    Then I would suggest calling Fantom tech support (have that long
error code ready).   You may need to return the drive to them.

> no drivers for Panther for my Microtek Scanner,
Would suggest checking Microtek support at
http://www.support.microtek.com/panther.phtml
They say they are working on it and have some temporary solutions.

> it doesn't recognize that the Handy Cam is connected when I use
> FireWire.
Launch iMovie and manually start an import.

> Do I need Toast or something like that?
You don't need Toast to create CDs or DVDs in 10.x, but a lot of people
use it anyway because the human factors of Apple's way of burning media
from the Finder are atrociously poor.

         Peter