[MacDV] Re: iLife4

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 11 09:05:04 PST 2004

At 11:36 AM -0500 1/11/04, Fabian Ius wrote:
>Erica Sadun writes:
>>waiting to update iMovie 4 Solutions
>
>Considering that there are not very many new "items" in iMovie4 (from what
>I could read on the Apple website), will your update be a self-contained
>resource (a newly published edition and/or appendix), or a .pdf download
>that you will share with users for a fee ?

Right now, we're just anticipating adding the new features and
making sure everything else works right as written in the book.

I'll throw the pdf idea at my editor.

>And with respect to iLife'04, I guess it would be prudent to "change" the
>name of the current iLife apps, install iLife'04 so as not to "overwrite"
>the original iLife apps, so that if there are unpleasant issues with the
>new release, you will still be able to use the older versions until the
>necessary upgrades are made to the newer apps (just like some of us kept
>iMovie2 when iMovie3 was released).

'zactly. I certainly intend to do so.

>P.P.S.  Does anyone know if they have altered the encoding rate of the
>sound or have lowered the encoding bit rate for video to allow for a 2
>hour DVD in iDVD4?  I guess if you really know the answer, you work for
>Apple or have beta-tested this app and cannot divulge this info until the
>official release.  Just curious.

I'm guessing they moved the encoding rate down to 4Mbps for the 2
hour DVD. Currently in iDVD3, the rates are 8Mbps for 1 hour and
5 Mbps for 90 minutes.

Keep in mind that some players choke at the 1 hour 8Mbps rate,
so sometimes it helps to lower the bitrate when you burn your
DVDs.

-- Erica