iMovie/FCE Colour Correction

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Sun Jan 11 09:40:36 PST 2004

Perhaps someone could advise me on this:

I have been given some DV footage to work with which has a consistent
colour problem. The inexperienced camera operator has accidentally hit
the 'back light' button while setting up the camera and failed to
notice.  As a result, the footage (tripod mounted, camera static,
subject fairly immobile) is rather washed out and the background (light
coloured wall) is totally white.  In fact, it all looks as if it has
been shot in heaven.

When I experimented with the colour correction in iMovie (3) all I
succeeded in doing was to generate peculiar garishly coloured artifacts
in one corner of the frame, giving the impression that the subject is
being stalked by some sort of alien jellyfish.

Is iMovie capable of doing anything about this, and if so, how?

Would I be better with Final Cut Express which was considering buying
anyway?  From what I've read, FCE colour correction is different from
(not as good as?) Final Cut Pro.

TIA

Colin McDonald