Ping Lynn--flicker rate & stabilizer (Filming an LCD) ---MacDV Digest #2528

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Jan 12 02:39:51 PST 2004

Lynn--

You might be better off using tools at hand to make whatever materials you
need to find a distributor willing to pick up the project, and let them
decide whether to do the transfer to film, and then let them cover the
costs.

If you've got a compelling and marketable story and the finished product is
well done, I'd say your money is better spent that way.  Especially if the
deal you end up with is direct to video with no theatrical exhibition in the
first place.

Re: your "do it yourself" idea:  Sounds like a lot of possibly relatively
expensive testing ahead.

If you choose the right 35MM motion picture camera with the right motor
system and the right shutter angle, and the right frame/field rate for the
project you're working on, you might be able shoot off an LCD screen.

How big an LCD screen did you plan to use?  How big are those pixels going
to look when/if blown up to a theater sized screen?

Have you calculated what the costs to test the process would be... camera
and equipment rental, raw stock, processing, printing and projection to see
how well the process works?

IF it works, what will your raw stock, sound transfer and film printing
costs will add up to for the length of the project you're dealing with?

Just some thoughts.  YMMV.

Ted.