[MacDV] Re: iDVD (was: iMovie4)

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Fri Jan 16 13:21:12 PST 2004

On Jan 16, 2004, at 16:08, CFlatow wrote:
> On Friday, January 16, 2004, at 03:51  PM, Steve Hussey wrote:
>>> Well, we all knew the free lunch wouldn't last forever.  Apple's
>>> gotta
>>> make their money somehow. :)
>>
>> Apple had that policy of giving the apps away for free, but making up
>> for it
>> with volume ;-)
>>
> snip
>> IMHO $50 is worth it just for Garageband. As a very musical person,
>> but with
>> a complete inability to write/play music, I just created a funky
>> hip/hop
>> Jazz background 'tune' for a DVD project in about 5 minute - even
>> without a
>> manual (since you don't get one). Then just export to iTunes.
> snip
>

> Wouldn't it be nice if Apple quietly dropped the need for iDVD to have
> an internal DVD drive since they now charge for this?

Well, they're halfway there right now.  Actually iDVD 3 will _run_ on a
machine without a DVD drive, but before it wouldn't install.  Now with
the new iLife 04 you can run iDVD anywhere and build your project, then
take the project to a machine with a SuperDrive for burning.

As for not requiring a SuperDrive to burn, good luck.  But I agree -
now that they charge for it they shouldn't require a SuperDrive.  ANY
DVD burner should work.

Eagle