iDVD iDvDidn't.

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 12:18:47 PST 2004

After another four-hour attempt at encoding and burning, I came up with
another pancake. It does play oK on my  Superdrive, but Crikey, the idea
behind iDVD is that you burn a freaking DVD! If I wanna pass out home
movies to my family, do I REALLY have to buy them a Superdrive equipped Mac
to go with it? This is outrageous.

Other discs I've burned (admittedly not many) have played just fine on my 2
players. New variables are
iDVD4 and this endless tussle called OSX. It's really been awhile since I
did this, but I think my previous attempts may have been in 9. I am soooo
consistently frustrated by OSX, in virtually every way, that I am beginning
to regard it as some sort of practical joke (along with the constant joyful
noises I hear) and that Bill Gates bought Apple and is now killing it with
a Unix sword.

As you can probably tell, I'm mad enough to bite a spider. I've wasted
about 8 hours in this fruitless attempt to do the most basic damned thing
these hypercostly gizmos are supposed to do. I can wait until Tuesday and
enter the tech support carnival, but right now I'm just roundly pissed at
another failure of Apple to provide me with the environment Jobs is so good
at promising. At this moment, the digital lifestyle is not making my life
better, and I'm sick to death of being an unpaid Apple beta tester --  a
tradition that began with OSX and the so-called "public beta," which was
(charitably) an incompetent Alpha.

BTW - FWIW, Garage Band is a hoot. But I'm still mad.

Also- there was a suggestion to do Erica's trick, add more material and
change the encoding rate, then encode before burning. I've only ever seen
that as one (ENDLESS, INTERMINABLE) process. Is there a way to encode
without going directly to burning, failing to pass go, and winding up with
another coaster?

Apple, I've been a steady and moneybagged customer since 1986 but you're
really pushing me.

Thanks, sorry for the rant but it's damned deserved. Any suggestions that
don't involve buying more Macs for family members would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bobbo

Art, pet and human portraits: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com

Voice Over website: http://www.bob-vo.com