[MacDV] GarageBand

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 18 11:21:28 PST 2004

>Can't get any sound out of the darn thing. Anyone
>else have this problem?

I managed to pick iLife '04 up at the local Apple Store last night and got it installed.  My wife and I ended up staying up pretty late playing with GarageBand.  I'd not been sure what to make of it from the announcements, but it's pretty cool, and I'm even thinking about getting the "Jam Pack" (though would like to have a better idea of what is in the "Jam Pack" prior to buying it.  I'd personally like some loops with an Irish Folkmusic feel.

I have run into a couple problems that might be related.  One is that it seems to require a fair amount of RAM, and I had to close some stuff down (currently my G5 2x2 only had 512Mb, but I hope I'll be upgrading this week. :^)  The other problems is that my creation is now over 30 seconds long, and the waveform patterns are disappearing while I'm playing it (I suspect this might be memory related).

BTW, while my wife and I are having a blast with it, the one that seems to like it the most is our 10 month old :^)

Oh, and iPhoto rocks!  It was why I bought the package, and was worth the $50 to me, as I'm now able to quickly scroll through our iPhoto library (the previous version had almost ground to a halt on our G5 2x2).

		Zane