[MacDV] New Quicktime movie with I-Movie 4

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sun Jan 18 21:55:59 PST 2004

On Jan 18, 2004, at 6:49 PM, barry ellman wrote:

> Just got the new I-movie 4 loaded on my I-book, and noticed that it
> automatically created a .mov version of the movie on saving.
>
> However, this .mov file cannot be opened with older versions of
> quicktime.

If you're trying to move the file to another computer for playback, it
won't work -- it's what's called a "referencing movie" and it points to
the actual footage that's in your iMovie project -- if you move the
file to another computer, it loses the referenced files.  You should be
able to open it up on the machine that created it (which you should
have no problems with QuickTime version since it's the same machine),
and export it from QuickTime Player (Pro) to a self-contained movie --
then you can move it from machine to machine, and depending on the
settings you choose when exporting you can maintain compatibility with
any version of QuickTime (quality will suffer when going for
compatibility with anything older than 4.x).

Hope that helps.

- Mark