[MacDV] Why I love my mac

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 08:07:14 PST 2004

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 05:47 AM, barry ellman wrote:

> DVs burned on a Mac should play in any player if the Mac is going to
> be useful. If it doesn't like the media that's loaded, it should tell
> you so with a pop up prompt. When I rent a DVD, it plays anywhere. Why
> should a burned DV be any different?

Well sure, it sounds nice, and that's the way you'd *want* it to work -
but it doesn't.  And Apple can only solve problems that are under
Apple's control. They can't make you're in-law's DVD player work better.

>  At least, that's what us "Users" will think. We are not looking for
> puzzles to solve.

Sure, but its not really *that* hard if you're just an average person
trying to burn a DVD that will work in your own players, and few
relatives and friends players.

?

> Now, I see that the new "burners" of DV will be a problem for a while
> till the technology catches up for the consumer. I'll wait, thank you.

Your call. Personally, I've had a ton of fun burning DVDs in the past
couple of years. I have a stack of cheapie disks that play well only on
the computer, and some Apple DVDs that cost a lot more but play
anywhere I've tried 'em. Anything I want to give away, I put on an
Apple blank. Its really not that hard.

SR