[MacDV] iDVD encoding

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 08:14:37 PST 2004

Changing the name doesn't matter since the program has made a record of where the files
sit on your drive. I have used this method to start over with encoding from iMovie to
iDVD. It also serves to defragment all of the media within a project.

1. Copy all of the movie files to another drive (the entire iMovie folder)
2. Rename the duplicate files (be sure that the project name exactly matches the
quicktime file with .mov on the end) and keep the media files folder inside with the
project & quicktime files)
3. Open iMovie (it will bring up your original project on the main drive) then close the
project.
4. Open the project now found on your external drive (this way you can check to be sure
everything exists as it should in the new location.
5. quit imovie and trash the original files.
6. You now have a world of space on your system drive for idvd to encode to it's hearts
content.

By the way, another method is to write the project to dv tape, clear all of the files,
and then import your footage into a fresh imovie project. I used to go that route before
I had plenty of drive space sitting around.