[MacDV] Re: Why I love my mac

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 10:52:53 PST 2004

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> On 1/19/04 12:31 PM, Ronald Woodland at woodland at infowest.com wrote:
>
>> Specifically, what value is DVD+R over the DVD-R format for
>> single-sided DVDs.
>
> The DVD+R format allows multiple sessions on the same disc, so you
> could write 4 1 GB sessions until the disc is full.  DVD-R discs are
> "closed" or "finalized" after you burn to them just once, no matter
> how much (or how little) data you put on it -- seems silly to me, why
> the heck would the DVD standards group make it that way?  I dunno.

Its a little more complex than that, since I'm using Retrospect to
write multiple sessions on DVD-RWs for backup. But that's the general
idea - the way the disks handle multiple sessions is different. In
practice, I'm not sure there's any difference between the formats in
terms of the way software can use them to provide multi-session
features to the end-user.

SR