iDVD 4 is sloooow

Video International videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Thu Jan 22 06:16:49 PST 2004

I've been successfully burning DVDs in iDVD 3 and recently upgraded to
iDVD4. When I went to burn my first DVD on 4, it got hung up on the 3rd
stage "asset encoding". After a few hours, I force quit and and tried
again. Same thing. I decided to start the project from scratch,
starting with iMovie, then iDVD 4. Went to burn and yup, same thing. I
finally let it go all night and the next morning there was a completed
disk waiting for me.

I searched around on the web, and found that others are experiencing
this problem as well. It appears to be due to the 2-pass VBR encoding
process. Unfortunately, you don't have the option to encode at a
constant bit rate with projects over 60 minutes. Luckily, I had made a
backup image of my drive before installing iLife '04, and am
considering going back to iDVD 3. Just thought I'd pass on the info for
those of you considering the upgrade, but require a fast work flow. You
might end up needing a dual processor G5 to use this $49 app!

Speed tests here:
http://macintouch.com/idvd4.html

Using another Mac to write this as my assets are encoding,
Rick