[MacDV] iDVD encoding

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 07:43:55 PST 2004

On Jan 29, 2004, at 9:34 AM, Dorothy Hennings wrote:

> Bruce Williams had written some time ago to me about coding problems.
> After I made Gigabytes of room on my boot disk as he suggested (I
> discarding old system files), the coding went OK. It took a long time
> to code. Two iMovies, one 55 min. and one 37 min. each took about 7
> hrs.
>  A few questions:
>
> 1. Does iMovie save the encoded info after the DVD disk is made and
> one does not make more copies when asked?

In iDVD 2 and 3, it saves all the movie tracks, but not the menu
tracks, so it takes a small amount of extra time if you restart iDVD
later to make a 2nd disk vs. making it immediately after the first
disk. I haven't played with iDVD 4 enough to know how it works, but
probably the same.

> 2. If Toast 6 is used to copy a DVD holding a one hr iMovie, approx
> how long does it take to copy the disk to the boot drive before making
> a copy to the blank disk? I hope not 7 hrs.

It depends on the speed of your machine. iDVD sure doesn't take 7 hours
on my machine. It takes about 3 hours for iDVD to encode and burn a 90
minute DVD on my G4 867 box.  If I had Toast 6, my times for it would
probably not match up with yours.

SR