[MacDV] Re: re hard drive enclosure

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Jul 13 11:03:02 PDT 2004

The ADS Pyro Firewire 400/USB 2.0 drives generally handle the bigger
drives without issue. They are Oxford 911 enabled as well, a must for
video on Firewire... which tends toward bugginess, depending on the
Firewire configuration. Fewer drives is less problematic. We tried 12
drives on Firewire, which made buying a multi terabyte Fiber Channel
RAID sound reasonable, given the problems we experienced. Mainly,
external FW enclosures can suffer, whether you want them to or not,
from "autosleep," which is a killjoy in the extreme for OS X, which
cannot always wake up a sleeping drive, and will lock up due to one,
from time to time. Enough, though, that if you have a LOT of Firewire
storage, you begin looking for more stable solutions.

It takes a hardware tweak to break the 128GB barrier otherwise imposed
by certain Mac architecture.

Not all things get it right. ADS seems to do well, but oh, for the
sleeping!!!! ADS also suffers, in a 24/7 environment, of having less
than great muffin fans, and boy, are they LOUD when they go...

Richard Brown