Radio microphone noise

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Jul 13 13:48:19 PDT 2004

I'm shooting video indoors in a classroom, using an Sony trv950 camcorder.
I've had lots of problems with microphone noise.  Hums and buzzes have
plagued all my wired microphones.  The wireless mic, Sony WCS 999, has
given good, clear sound 90% of the time, with aggravating intermittent
"sssnickk" sounds.

Today I discovered that the Sony power supply/charger is the source of the
hum on the wired microphones.  The obvious solution is to unplug the camera
and run off the battery.  The problem is that I am shooting five hours in a
row, each day.  I don't have that much battery capacity between charge
cycles, if I use the lcd view screen.  If I use the viewfinder, the
batteries may last, but my brain will be destroyed by five hours of
squinting through the vewfinder.

In any case, the wireless mic is a better choice for capturing the voices
of the roaming teachers.  The sound that I get, at random intervals from
three to thirty seconds apart, is kind of a hiss, ramping up in volume
quickly to a sharp cut off.  It sounds like electronic interference of some
sort.  The sound reminds me of sound effects in science fiction movies.
Perhaps the spark traveling up the wires in Frankenstein's lab.  Roughly
1/2 second in duration.

We are in a small building on the campus of a small college in Vermont, a
mile outside a small town.  I think I am fairly isolated from large scale
electrical disturbances, radio stations, airport control towers, and the
like.  No telling how the building is wired.  The lights are incandescent.
There are dimmers on the light switches, but testing them while listening
to the microphone through the camera hasn't shown any obvious difference
between off, on and in between.

Any suggestions and speculation will be welcome.  I am also wondering about
Sound Soap or other software to decrease the severity of the problem in
post production.

Thanks for you thoughts,

Derek

Derek Roff