[MacDV] Re: Stills in IMovie

Gerhard Kuhn gerhardk at mac.com
Thu Jul 15 09:50:48 PDT 2004

200 % 72 DPI scan would in reality be a 36 DPI scan, not good for much of anything.  If you are using it for video 300 DPI or even 150 DPI is sufficient unless you are doing serious cropping.  I have read that scanning any photo above 600 DPI is unproductive since the printing process provides no detail beyond that.   Scanning prints made with an inkjet returns results that can be considered useable, even in video, only as a last resort (I found that scanning those the results are better at 150 than 300 DPI), ask for the digital copy if at all possible.  In my experience scanning at a resolution higher than you think you will need saves time in the end since it allows you to do cropping and still have a file that has enough resolution which would not be the case had it been scanned at 72 DPI in the first place.

Gerhard

. Don't get fooled into that 200% 72 dpi scanning,