[MacDV] Re: Pioneer DVD Burner 107D

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.ca
Fri Jul 16 07:32:15 PDT 2004

Karl: the Pioneer burner should work without any problems. The proof is
in the pudding.

Try burning DVDs from the desktop (insert a blank DVD-R, give it a
name, transfer lots of files to backup to, then click on the burn baby
symbol next to the DVD in your sidepanel in the finder window). It
should work.

A tougher test is to burn a DVD in iDVD.

I have earlier models of the Pioneer DVD in my G4s and they work fine.
There's a hack available to boost the right speed for the DVD burner,
but I haven't tried that. The lore is that the faster the burn, the
lower the longevity of the resulting disk.

Jeff
On Jul 16, 2004, at 10:14 AM, ksay11081 at mac.com wrote:

> This may have been discussed in the past, but I have an after market
> Pioneer DVD 107D burner installed on my G4 Sawtooth/Dual
> 500Mhz/200G/1.3MB.  I have Mac OS 10.2.8 installed.  According to
> Apple System Profiler the drive is "not supported".  Obviously I need
> to use the drive for burning DVDs -- and I'd like to play region free
> DVDs.  Is there a firmware update fix for this or must I upgrade to
> Panther?  I've done an internet search and most of the information I
> find sounds confusing and contradictory with a lot of warnings about
> 'unsupported' hacks, etc.  I would appreciate and help.  Thanks.
>
> Karl

J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-267-3890; cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, Perth, ON K7H 3C3              Fax: 613-267-6727
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for 25 years