[MacDV] Re: Importing From DVD

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sat Jun 5 14:39:55 PDT 2004

Handbrake is super easy to use, but there are some MAJOR disadvantages:

1.  It only converts to MPEG-4, which is a fairly "lossy" codec.  It
looks pretty good at higher bitrates, but it's still lossy.

2.  You'll still have to convert it AGAIN to DV to re-edit (yet another
recompression "generation").

3.  Something weird happens with the gamma when converting to MPEG-4
with Handbrake -- the picture gets really dark.  Hardly ideal when
trying to preserve as much quality as possible.

So...  I'd recommend against it.

In fact, I'd recommend *against* using any software tools (way too
tedious and time-consuming), but rather just re-capture it from a DVD
player back into your computer via DV.  Going to analog and back to
digital kind of "smooths out" the image, so the MPEG-2 artifacts won't
be as noticeable.  (at least this has been my experience).

FWIW.

- Mark