[MacDV] Re: Digital Video Quality

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 08:21:56 PDT 2004

Interesting question -

With analog tapes the tape degrades at some unknown rate AND copying to new stock
creates some loss. So it has always been a guess as to when a fresh copy would be
advisable.

Now we have mini-dv. Tape stock is always improving, but will still degrade magnetically
and physically over time. But the digital recorded signal can play "as original" even if
the magnetic impulses become weaker - up to the point where they dissappear. It truly is
all or nothing.

Theoretically then, if you digitally dub a dv tape before it degrades to the point of
unreadability, you have created a new original to start the aging process all over
again.

Of course, at some point the cost of tape will fall below the per minute cost of saving
to a hard drive (or flashcard, or memory stik) at which point we may dispense with the
magnetic video idea completely.

Anyone for isolinear chips? (Trek reference, coming soon to a galaxy near you!)

R.B.