[MacDV] Re: what to get... or rent?

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Jun 24 10:24:51 PDT 2004

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 12:58  PM, matblack at mac.com wrote:

> Thanks for the input so far... let me approach this another way.
> I have a miniDV cam already. Buying another with passthrough is
> tempting, because who does not want another camera? BUT...

You should probably just dump your VHS to mini DV and capture from that.

> Am I correct in assuming that the footage from two different cameras
> two different formats won't match? that would clearly reduce the
> usefulness of two cams.

they probably won't match.

> Is there a clear advantage to buying a Converter, that I would miss
> out on by utilizing a camera instead?

The advantage is being able to dump any audio or video into your
computer with little fuss.

> Is there a clear advantage of miniDV over D8? Aside from size and the
> fact that the format seems to be dying out?

Yes. Someone mentioned tape handling. The tapes themselves are pretty
rickety in 8mm.
And the cameras have lower res ccd's.So though, in theory it's the
same, in practice it sort of looks like very clean VHS.