[MacDV] Re: Digital Video Quality

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 10:06:05 PDT 2004

I did have a chance to try one belonging to a customer, a Sony model DCR-DVD101.

The 1.4 gb disc is good for about 30 min of shooting, so that is an awfully big drawback
to start with. More than that though, the number of broken units on eBay indicates that
the technology hasn't caught up with the concept quite yet.

For consumer dvd creation, I think a better option today is to record in mini-dv and
then transfer via firewire to a set-top dvd recorder. I am truly surprised at the
quality of the Pioneer DVR-310-S unit I started using last year. It is a great
alternative if the only editing needed is straight cuts.

R.B.