Newbie questions about NTSC monitors and FCP

Puget Sound Cinema Society pscinema at scn.org
Sun Jun 27 10:54:46 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm considering adding an external NTSC monitor or at least an NTSC TV
to my G4/1.4GHz (still running Jaguar) so that I can correct colors and
other quiddities to look right for transfer to broadcast quality tape.
As long as I've been making films, I'm completely new to this side of
things, so I need some help. The limitations are, of course, budgetary.
I don't want to spend more than $500 on a video card and all. I'm
cheap, and I'm therefore not averse to old technology (as long as it
works). So...

1) How do I do this? What sort of video card do I need that will
connect with an S-video or composite TV or monitor? Recommendations?
2) If I were to use a real BNC monitor, what are my options? Are they
all as expensive as Igniter?
3) Since I'll be using a second video card, how much do I have to worry
about sync delay between an external monitor and the FCP Timeline
playback?
4) Are there any extreme compatibility issues if I later add an
analog-to-dv Canopus converter?

Sorry this isn't incredibly coherent; I'm just sick of reading all the
unhelpful reference material I have on video cards and monitors, and
wanted some human being guidance.

Omar Willey