[MacDV] Re: Abes of Maine

Steven Romero leromero at mac.com
Tue Mar 2 14:42:45 PST 2004

on 3/1/04 2:58 PM, Larry Richelli at tech at technonerd.com wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2004, at 9:38 AM, James Asherman wrote:
>
>> Yes . B+H and several ohers are in manhattan. Beach Camera is walking
>> distance from my home.
>> You cannot walk in and get the same prices as on the phone. Why? I
>> don't know.
>
> Doesn't this prove that these places overcharge on shipping keep some
> of the shipping money!
> This is why I don't buy from NY camera dealers!

At the risk of being completely off topic. I work for one of those two
carriers mentioned (Fedex and UPS). I know for a fact that after we go in
and negotiate the discounts with the shippers, the shippers in turn charge
their customers the full shipping price. They then keep the difference. I
have to point out in all fairness that this is not true for all businesses.