[MacDV] Cleaning Noise from Digital Tape

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sun Mar 7 17:36:35 PST 2004

Cleaner might be able to help a little, depending on what kind of
"noise" it is.  If it's white streakies, these are dropouts due to the
tape actually flaking off, and there's no easy way to fix those -- if
you have a rotoscoping program you can use a cloning tool to touch them
up, but what a PAIN!  If it's just the blotchy pixel noise from old VHS
tape, then Cleaner may be able to help with one of the noise reduction
filters -- export a 30 second chunk of video from iMovie (at full
quality) and run it through Cleaner to see if it helps any.  But be
prepared to wait...  and wait... and wait...  Cleaner is pretty slow on
full-res video, and on a 233 MHz PowerBook it'll be painfully slow --
be prepared to give up your machine for a few days if you decide to
process any length of footage...

2 cents.

- Mark