[MacDV] Re: DVD Burning

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sun Mar 7 20:34:32 PST 2004

On Mar 7, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Wooster wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly after a bit more unhappy reseach
> time I
> did find that Premire had given me the file that the process via
> Quicktime
> pro & iMovie would have done had I burned a hole in my wallet. (Which I
> still may have to do if iDVD is still deemed necissary)

You'll need iDVD or Toast Titanium 6 to make a DVD (easily anyway --
there are freeware utilities out there for Mac OS X, but they are a
SUPER PAIN to figure out, compile, and eventually use to actually
produce something -- I have yet to find success with such tools, as I
am not a friggin' programmer!).

> If I just burned the NTSC file to a DVD-R disk would it play in a DVD
> player? Or is the NTSC file format simply used as 'a go between'
> between
> creating and burning a movie project?

NTSC refers to the video standard -- NTSC is used in N. America, and
PAL is used in Europe.  You'll need an authoring app to take your
QuickTime file and convert it to MPEG-2 (the digital compression format
used for DVDs) -- iDVD is by far the easiest app to use for this, and
the results are outstanding.  (so what I'm saying is -- get iLife --
you won't regret it!  you're on OS X, right?)

> I appologize for my rudimentary questions. I have minimal experience
> in this
> field and these hours of internet reseach is resulting in me just
> getting
> cranky and irritable.

We've all been there...  And we're all here to help...

- Mark