Steadicam

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Mar 8 11:05:57 PST 2004

I'd like to add my thanks to Richard, and add one more comment that I
didn't see emphasized.

One of the most annoying motions in watching hand-held footage is
angular change.  Slight tilt left and right makes every vertical line
shift off axis.  Slight tilt forward and back is both more noticeable
and more bothersome than small movements up and down, if the camera
stays level.

With practice, the SteadyCam JR and GlideCam style stabilizers can be
very effective in reducing the amplitude and frequency of extraneous
angular movements in hand-held shooting.  The gimbal support is the
key to isolating the camera from angular changes in the hand, so I
would consider a gimbal to be esssential in any design for this sort
of support.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu