[MacDV] DVD player "cleaning"?

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 12:40:23 PST 2004

No, they shouldn't croak so quickly but they can easily get dirty. I've found that
compressed air does a better job than the disk with microfiber "brushes" imbedded in
them any day. The same holds true for cd-rom or dvd computer drives. Just remove the
outer shell and blow out visible dust. It won't harm the mechanism and often takes care
of the problem. What you don't want to do is scratch the lens itself with kleenex or
some other abrasive material.

On the flipside, players are incredibly cheap and the digital-analog chip in a new DVD
can compensate for read errors much better than those produced even 18 months ago. They
also handle the higher bit rates that iDVD dishes out easier.

R.B.