[MacDV] iMovie Sound ?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 16:36:35 PST 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 4:03 PM, Neil Bennett wrote:

> Hi,
> I found the demux software (bbdemux), and have now successfully
> separated the audio and video into separate files !
> The original MPEG file that I 'demuxed' was called tom-a.mpg  Now, as
> well as this original file, I've also now created two additional files
> called tom-aS192SS0.m1a and tom-aS192SS0.m1v
> Now, how do I join these files back together again so that I can
> import it into iMovie 3?

There are many different pathways to get to the same end point.

First, I just use Quicktime Pro to export out the video from the MPEG.
Exporting it in DV format takes up a lot of space, but it seems to give
pretty decent quality. You can thing import the DV file into iMovie (or
just drop it in your project folder when iMovie isn't looking, then
when  you start iMovie, you'll have the option to put the new clip on
the shelf (only works with clips under the 9:26 size limit).

For sound, I've found the program "extractor" faster and more reliable
than BBdemux:

http://denisx.dyndns.org/extractor/

Have extractor save MP2 audio, then use iTunes to convert MP2 to MP3
(in the advanced menu). You can import MP3 sound directly into iMovie.

FFmpegX works pretty well for this too, but its slightly more tricky to
install than the average program, and it has about a million-zillion
little options that take a while to figure out.

SR