Local Cable TV Video Quality

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 17 16:47:04 PST 2004

Where I live (Des Moines, Iowa) the local cable provider, Mediacom, requires that public access programs be submitted on 3/4" tape which effectively cuts out a lot of the "public access" because 3/4" is not widely available to the general public (not talking about people who are savvy about broadcast media). The quality generally has been pretty bad because a lot of those submitting programs are shooting on home VHS camcorders and only later transferring their finished shows to 3/4". I don't know how the cable system in your area is but here the level of technical quality is low and the cable provider seems intent on locking out as much access to the public as possible (so they can carry more hours of the Home Shopping Channel).

-Dave