iDVD encoding

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 10:00:48 PST 2004

You can. Once the sound file is converted and in the AUdio-TS folder, iDVD doesn't know
the difference. It's just much smaller than before so the encoding moves more swiftly. I
did a comparison on a project that was 1:18 min total playtime.

First pass in iDVD with original audio took 3:35
2nd pass using the new audio encoded in 2:04

Additionally, the 2nd version plays without skips on 2 older consumer DVD machines that
can't handle the original. It must have something to do with the bitrate, though I don't
know the specifics. That "feature" is the reason I tried this initially and just
happened to discover that it makes extra room for longer video time on each disc.

R.B.