[MacDV] iDVD encoding

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Fri Mar 19 17:18:23 PST 2004

My experiences with iDVD4.0.1...

On a Dual 1.25 GHz MDD 1.25 GB RAM with OS 10.2.8

1 hour and 40 minute movie (iMovie4)

Instead of clicking on Create iDVD Project after creating the chapters, I
saved and quit iMovie4 and then dragged the "reference movie" from the
project folder to the iDVD theme I wanted.

I chose this route because of a previous problem going straight from
iMovie4 to iDVD4...
(There were 9 scenes/buttons on one menu and three on the next.  I thought
that iDVD would only create 6 scenes per menu. Every time I tried to
rectify this issue, the same thing happened.)

3 1/2 hours later the DVD was completed for viewing on a set-top player.

With respect to the audio encoding issue that others have been
discussing...

would it be possible to add an audio file encoded in a different format
and placed into the Audio folder found within the .dvdproj file > contents
> Resources > Audio  before burning, perhaps that is what someone was
referring to earlier ?

I doubt it, but just curious.

It is unfortunate that iDVD4 doesn't allow the hacking of the ProjectData
file that was possible in iDVD3.

Also, just noticed that iDVD4 doesn't have the "old" themes from previous
versions of iDVD.  I dragged a few from iDVD3 and placed them in the
Resource folder of iDVD4.  Apple does not include them because they use a
different setting for font size, as well as a few other quirks, and thus
do not function properly in iDVD4.  But I was able to adjust them
accordingly for one of my projects and are suitable for future use.