Mac Maintence

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Sun Mar 21 16:45:37 PST 2004

Having had a bad experience with Nortons System Works early this year
I have wondered about alternatives.    I have noted from various inputs
that others have also had difficulties.

The March 2004 edition of the English magazine " MACFORMAT"  has an
article on tests it has run on six disc maintenance Applications and
Norton's System Works. v.3  has only scored 3 out of 5 ;  Alsoft's Disk
Warrior 3.5 out of 5 and Micromat's TechTool Pro 4 ;  5 out of 5 (the
latter does not run well with anything less than a G4).

For those that may be interested,  I thought it might be worth quoting
from the final summary:-

"In days gone by, the great name of Norton bestrode across the Mac
utility scene like some ultimate drive-fixing behemoth.  Norton was the
first and last word in fixing crashed drives, erased files and
optimising badly fragmented disks.   Sadly, that's no longer the case.
  Recent hiccups with Norton's transition to OSX have produced software
that does not always work as intended.   We've received countless
reports of Norton gobbling up a hard drive when it was supposed to be
fixing problems.   Here at Macformat we lost a drive of data due to
Norton's wild antics.   And although the latest version of the package
has improved somewhat, it's still a shadow of its former self.   In all
honesty, we don't feel able at the moment to recommend Norton Utilities
as a main tool in your Mac repair armoury.

Similarly, Alsoft's Disk Warrior used to be the best package for
bringing a damaged disk back to life.   Sadly, Disk Warrior hasn't
transferred to Panther without problems.   Alsoft needs to get it
working better with the new OS and the Company also needs to introduce
a drive optimiser that used to be bundled with the OS9 version of its
software.

At the top of the tree for us is the brand new TechTool Pro 4 from
Micromat.   It's been a long time coming, but well worth the wait.
The performance is solid and the tools extensive.   It's a worthy
recipient of our Editor's Choice award.    The optimiser is still very
slow and we'd like to see this speeded up, but apart from that we
really liked this package and think it will find favour with the
majority of Mac owners.   It's a bit expensive (£E112.),  but it really
does work."

The URL for Tech Tool Pro 4 is  "www.micromat.com" and the package
incorporates data recovery, SMART monitoring, Cocoa application, Secure
data wipes, disk optimiser, hardware testing, bootable CD, protection
files, data recovery and eDrive.

The summary also contains the following:-  " Finally, we would urge you
to download a copy of OnyX 1.4.   This great little utility is free and
a very handy tool for keeping your Mac in trim.   We love it and think
it deserves a place in your Apps folder."

The URL for OnyX is "www.titanium.free.fr".   Its features include
Finder customisation, Dock feature, Optimise Scripts, Cache purging,
font smoothing, Debug menu enabler and journaling On/Off.    Some
members will be aware "Panther" will, if your Mac is configured to be
switched on in the early hours of the morning, run daily, weekly and
monthly cron scripts which assist in keeping things running sweetly.
OnyX's "Optimise" tab enables you to run these scripts whenever you
wish.

Sorry this is Off Subject, but I would hate others to go through my
experience

Ian Tucker