WD Firewire drives/Aftermarket FW drive cases

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Sun Mar 21 16:36:32 PST 2004

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience with Western Digital
Firewire drives.

Also, whether anyone has had good success with specific brands of
Firewire cases into which you can put a hard drive.

I'm in part trying to troubleshoot problems I'm experiencing with two
older Western Digital drives.

If I connect either to my old iMac or new eMac, they mount, but after a
few minutes, crash the whole Firewire system, requiring a restart.

This was true in OS 9.2.2 and 10.3.2.  The drives involved are a 45GB
model WD450A001-RNN and the 60GB version in the same series.  Both are
at least a couple or three years old.

A newer 120GB Model WD1200B02-RNN has also been acting up.  At turn on,
if connected to another drive (while not necessarily connected to
anything else on the FW chain) its red drive activity light will blink
on and off like it was a heart in fibrillation.  Disconnecting anything
from both FW port ends the activity.  It also will sometimes act like
it is repeatedly spinning down, then back up again and down, up and
finally up.

I HAVE had some power supply problems with at least one of PS units and
replaced it with a factory unit for $25.  A 120 GB drive in the same
series as the 120GB just mentioned was replaced under warranty.  The
replacement seems to act as one would expect.

My interest in bare FW cases is to check whether the smaller WD drives
themselves are actually OK,

If they are, it may be that I'm actually seeing either problems with
the Firewire to ATA bridge or power supply issues.

If that's the problem, I can either replace the power units and/or pick
up new cases for about the cost of a 250 GB drive and get my data off
the older drives.

Alas, I don't have an ATA equipped Mac tower unit to plug the drives
directly into... or I could avoid buying a case to check things with.

Cheers.

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA