Bizarre Final Cut Pro Problem

RichBall rgb at ellerbach.com
Wed Mar 24 10:42:40 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:26:05 -0700, animal wrote
> You're likely right about the PC virus not afffecting Macs but
> please remember my Emac started coughing, becoming sluggish and
> acting stranger than normal AFTER I tried to open that attachment.
>  FCP COINCIDENTALLY has also gradually deteriorated and is almost
> unusable now since the attachment.  I have long since disposed of
> the evil attachment.  I doubt a Mac virus would have died out before
> I bought Norten Antivirus to diagnose it.

There is, unfortunately, the possibility that the Norten software is what
*caused* the problem :-(

The quality of the stuff Symantec puts out for the Mac under the Norten name
has really declined over the years to the point where many well-experienced
people simply refuse to recommend that brand.

My suggestion is to do what you propose, clean the disk and re-install and
then forget about the Norten software completely. That way, if a problem comes
up again you aren't confusing the issue with problematic code doing
questionable things.

Rich