DVDs, VIDEO_TS & Toast 6

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Mon May 3 19:48:12 PDT 2004

Using DVDBackup, I made a duplicate of one of my commercial DVDs to
send with my kids while they're away at their grandparents. No, I don't
trust them to take care of the original   ;^) and I may want to watch
the video while they're away.  I checked & it appears I'm within my
Fair Use rights.

Anyway, I have a VIDEO_TS folder full of .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files
totalling over 8.5GB.  I assume this folder contains the movie along
with the menus, special features etc. on the DVD.  Anyone know of a way
to burn this to a standard 4.7GB DVD-R?  When I dragged the VIDEO_TS
folder to Toast 6.05 (using the DVD settings on the Video tab), I got a
message about some of the files being unsupported and wouldn't be
included.

  I'm wondering:
  (a) why some of these files wouldn't be supported trying to burn to
DVD under Toast?
(b) if I could get them to work, would Toast 6.05 be able to encode the
material to fit onto a 4.7GB disc?

No great loss if I can't get it to work, but it would be nice for
future situations to figure out some way to compress the oversize files
to fit on my blanks. Getting the special features & menus would be
nice, too.