[MacDV] DVDs, VIDEO_TS & Toast 6

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon May 3 20:30:47 PDT 2004

On May 3, 2004, at 9:48 PM, Randy Clark wrote:

> Using DVDBackup, I made a duplicate of one of my commercial DVDs to
> send with my kids while they're away at their grandparents. No, I
> don't trust them to take care of the original   ;^) and I may want to
> watch the video while they're away.  I checked & it appears I'm within
> my Fair Use rights.

You'd think its perfect reasonable, but its not what any court would
interpret as fair use because you have to defeat a copy protection
scheme to do it. In fact, its a violation of the DMCA. IMO, its a bad
combination:  the activity seems reasonable, but there are obscure laws
that attach a BIG penalty to it, *and* they're generally not being
enforced except at the whim of a prosecutor - when its convenient to
make an example of someone.

SR