Digitizing Sound from SVHS recorder

E. Bond Francisco ebondfrancisco at mac.com
Mon May 10 06:38:59 PDT 2004

Folks,

I'm sure this has been covered previously, but I can't find references
to it. I need to digitize picture and sound from a VHS tape. I'm
attempting to do this by connecting my tape deck -- actually a Minolta
Master SVHS video camcorder -- to a Sony TRV50 mini-DV camera and using
that as passthrough. I can see and capture Picture using FCP4-HD, but I
can't seem to find the sound. So my question is, does the SVHS out on
the Camcorder/VCR carry sound at all? And what if the tape itself is
not SVHS, but just VHS.  I did a quick check of the KenStone site but
couldn't find what I was looking for. I'd be happy to do the reading if
someone could point me to a good source of info on the topic.

Thanks,

Bond