[MacDV] Older cameras

Selander Timothy selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Wed May 19 04:38:36 PDT 2004

> Here's a question for the experienced video pros. The market for the
> better used digital camcorders seems to be strong. You rarely see any
> bargain prices. But if you go to the "Professional Video" section of
> eBay, you can find some high quality cameras at good prices. The ones
> from the recent past often have 3 2/3" CCDs, but record on SVHS or Hi8.
> Going back before the advent of CCDs, you find broadcast quality
> cameras with 3 tubes.
>
> If someone wanted to set up a studio on a shoestring, would it be
> possible to take one of these older cameras and run an analog video
> output through an outboard analog to digital converter? How would the
> resolution of this jury rig compare to modern integrated digital
> camcorders?
>
> Steve R.

Lots of great analog bargains out there -- in studio gear as well as
linear editing. You can get great quality on a budget. My only real
advice would be to stay away from tube cameras. They beed much more
maitenance (registration problems), suffer burn in and need much more
light than CCDs.

Leaking capacitors can be a problem with older gear, so be sure you have
return privileges or can test gear before purchase.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan