[MacDV] Re: VHS to HD to DVD

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Wed May 19 19:42:18 PDT 2004

With only one hour of "quality" video possible on a 4.7 GB DVD-R, you'll
have to consider dealing with VHS or sub VHS quality to fit a feature
film on a DVD-R. As you are starting from VHS, the compression could
compound the already low resolution/quality of your source material.

One excellent choice to IMPROVE your VHS when digitizing is to
rent a Time Base Corrector (TBS) for the weekend from a local video
rental house. Maybe even rent a pro level VHS deck WITH a built
in TBC. Playing a VHS as processed through a TBC into a DV
converter will create DV files which are, to say the least,
  night and day better than ordinary VHS playback.

With your limited hard disk space (DV runs about 13GB per hour...)
you will run out of disk space quickly, meaning this will be a
job requiring quite a few weekends.

You might look for used TBC's on ebay... A company, "FOR-A" made
a bunch of them which should be old enough for ebay deals today.

They will all take BNC connectors, so you'll likely need BNC to RCA
adapters, available at Radio Shack.

Just an idea from someone with over 10,000 movies on VHS
languishing in storage, usurped (slowly)  by DVD.

Richard Brown