[MacDV] Re: Digital Video Quality

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Thu May 27 17:32:19 PDT 2004

And if you let them lay in the sunlight for a week or two, that will
pretty much destroy a DVD too. Even those I put away in a drawer
immediately were not completely readable a year later. I've only
checked a few and found that some files in the middle are unreadable. I
was able to get those at the beginning and the end. (This was a data
DVD.)

I don't know if the hype about 20-30-100 years was intended for
homemade CDs and DVDs, but it turns out that the dyes break down. There
was an article in a UK newspaper about a study that supports what Erica
says. It was mentioned on www.dpreview.com several weeks ago. It will
be mentioned more and more if you pay attention to computer news.

Personally, I'm adding additional hard disks and multiple copies of
anything that's important enough to preserve. And I'm keeping all the
slides and negatives I scanned.

Shirley