[MacDV] Re: Digital Video Quality

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Thu May 27 17:53:22 PDT 2004

There are a number of effects which cut down the life of CDRs and
DVD±Rs. Since the data is burned in by light, we should not be
surprised that (sun)light can burn them out. Since the discs are built
in layers held together by glue, we shouldn't be surprised when the
layers move in relation to each, or when the glues fail under stress.
As for no-name vs brand name, some of the no-names are the same as the
brand name media, just without the brand. Price and "brandedness" don't
seem to be a reliable indicator of quality these days. Ar! It were
different when I were a lad!