Digital Video Quality - media

Simone Hutchinson red_leads at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 28 12:25:02 PDT 2004

With regards to the tributary discussion on DVD media
and does brand matter, I would like to invite further
discussion.
I have experienced problems with CD-R media recently,
and I also recently was working on a DV project and
thought Id do some research into what the general
consensus WAS on the non/importance of DVD media brand
half due to my CD-R experience.
With the CD-R, what happened was that I had burned
some small illustrator files to one of these blank
CD-Rs, (unbranded, bought in bulk from some
nondescript tiny multimedia outlet in Glasgow), and
took the CD into a print shop. The CD was supposedly
blank when the print guys tried to read it in their
macs. I tested the CD at home on my computer and
indeed it came up as blank, despite having burned the
files a short while ago to that CD-R. Then I
remembered from this incident that indeed this had
happened before: I had burned my entire Documents
folder to a CD-R to back it up last year using the
same CD-Rs, and yet that CD-R was coming up as a blank
one on my computer. Thankfully I had copied this
documents folder to a second CD-R as part of another
folder out of misorganisation. Rather lucky mistake!

So back to DVD-R media: I posted an email on this list
asking people to contribute their experiences with
DVD-R media, and one person (sorry I havent got the
name to hand right now and I must be quick ; )) gave
some feedback describing their preferences and advice.

I have erred on the side of caution and bought only
Verbatim or specific brands of Ritek DVD-R media, as
to the advice proffered by some websites.

So, I am disinclined to believe that there is no
difference between any DVD-R blank media in terms of
quality. And I would suggest to the novice to look on
the internet for what other people have experienced
and what they advise before you buy that 100 bulk pack
of blank DVD-Rs. Not to cause worry, but I think more
'experiments' are necessary before we can truly say
casually that DVD-R blank media brand doesnt matter.

However, my enthusiasm for caution might be
embarrassing. Does anyone, who has stated that there
is no difference, know why brands might not matter? I
would welcome an objective explanation : )

Regards,

Simone