Digital Video Quality

Vince Salupo v.salupo at comcast.net
Sat May 29 08:23:13 PDT 2004

I don't have anything to add to the discussion of improving quality today
but there is a consideration that I haven't seen mentioned. The technologies
we use today will be different than those in 5 years. 9Gb DVD dual layer
burners will probably be popular in the near future. Other technologies will
enable putting the original DV footage directly onto media for display. It
is only a matter of time before a disc that can handle 1 hr of DV (1:1
compression) is developed.

 KNOWING that compression will become less of an issue with time, keeping
your edited DV on a tape will allow you to recreate a higher quality
viewable media in the future.

At the moment, I am stuck on a G3 iMac using Toast 6 to make DVDs. This is a
step up from the VideoCDs I was making just 6 months ago. I plan on being
able to pull out all the edited DV footage (made in iMovie) and recreating
these movies when I get a new Mac with iDVD and a SuperDrive. The menu's
will get better and the compression should be better.

So.. Those exports to camera give you the ability to recreate a higher
quality viewable media in the future.

Vince