[MacDV] iMovie files and iPod Photo

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Thu Nov 4 17:01:24 PST 2004

As others have said, it's an external hard drive, but not right out of
the box. It will most likely be configured to open iTunes. When the
icon of the iPod appears in the lower right corner, click it to go to
the preferences. Then select the "Manually manage songs and playlists"
radio button. iTunes will remind you that you have to eject it manually
before disconnecting it. In OS 9, this mean dragging it to the trash.
In OS X you can do that, but it's easier to click the little eject
symbol in Panther or right-click it and select eject. (Control click if
you're using a one-button mouse) There's also a check box for Enable
disk use. I never mess with that, so I don't know if it's the default
to be checked.

I have no idea what you'd do if you connected it to a system without
iTunes.

Some people have turned them into emergency boot disks, but Apple
doesn't recommend that either. Anything that keeps them running
continuously is not encouraged. I play classical music, most of which
is longer than 4 minutes per "song," so I get less battery life that
way.

There's another device that has a bigger and better display (according
to dpreview). It's oriented to photographers, unlike the Photo iPod.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.asp

If you want a data/photo tank consider the Epson. If you primarily want
a music player that does a couple other things, then you probably want
the iPod.

Shirley