[MacDV] DV Editing - Rates

Vtstream vtstream at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 07:21:37 PST 2004

I'm wondering the same thing and it seems like this
question can't really be answered. If you are in
Vancouver, a reasonable hourly rate might be way
higher than if you are in Kingston Ontario since it's
probably cheaper to live in Ontario than in BC, and no
matter what, you have to base your pay on what it
costs you to live.
I would think that other variables would come into
play such as how experienced you are, what the film's
budget is and whether you are using your own
equipment.
Is it reasonable to pay someone $35 dollars an hour if
I can get my footage edited in India for $3 an hour?
Personally I'd want to make at least poverty wages
(that's about $10 US an hour where I am) but any
skilled tradesman in my area makes at least twice that
and more. Certainly video editing is a specialized
skill that should be traded like any other skilled
trade.
I assume the producer also has a full time job working
at something other than video? Why not ask him how
much he makes per hour and charge him for that much
and a little more since if he could do it himself, he
probably would.
Everything is negotiable.